Positioned on the western tip of the Isleta de San Juan, Old San Juan is the location of the second Spanish colony on Puerto Rico. Established in 1509, the colony was actually originally named Puerto Rico, or Rich Port. It later switched names with the island, and became known as San Juan in 1520.
Trade winds blow from Europe almost directly to Puerto Rico, so the island became a gateway to the new world. The location of this colony gave the Spanish control…Read More